Debt Collectors Violate the Federal Law When They:
- Call you at work despite you or your employer’s requests to stop.
- Call you at home despite your requests to stop.
- Make abusive or harassing phone calls to you.
- Talk to others about your debt.
- Add unauthorized collection charges.
- Threaten you with criminal prosecution or reporting to Internal Revenue Service.
- Threaten you with garnishment unless they already have a judgment against you.
- Do not state the exact amount of the debt in initial demand letters.
- Insist on payment within less than 30 days of their initial demand letter.
- Bad debt buyers attempting to collect old debts they cannot substantiate.
- Fail to notify you of your right to ask that they verify the debt they are collecting.
- Fail to give you a written notice of the debt within five days after you are first contacted.